As Christmas approaches our thoughts often turn to gift giving and gift receiving. Our focus is on our families and friends, and on our homes. One of my favourite traditions is decorating the Christmas tree and my family has several ornaments that are "my tradition" to put up every year. This year being away from my family around Christmastime- and being unsure how much time I will be able to spend with them over the holidays, my thoughts turn toward family, and Christmas even more. (I will be home for Christmas, but I may have to miss several family gatherings- needless to say the song "I'll be home for Christmas" is particularly poignant to me this year.) How often we take for granted what we have until we realize what it is like to not have it. This has become all the more clear to me considering some events making news in Canada.....
I have been loosely following the news about the situation in the community of Attawapiskat. (a Northern Ontario First Nation's reserve) The news of their housing shortage and dire living conditions has struck me deeply. (My own housing frustrations and worries over the past two years pale in comparison!) I have watched several videos about their community's plight and it angers and saddens me to see this sort of thing happening in Canada. I know Attawapiskat is not the only First Nations reserve or northern community in this kind of situation, but their story has impacted me personally.
I have never been to Attawapiskat myself, but just last week I finished processing a bunch of peat samples that came from the Attawapiskat area. Perhaps it is that connection that has piqued my interest and concern, or perhaps it is the national news coverage they have been receiving as a result of their band declaring a state of emergency. All I can say is that it is clear that there is injustice, that their is great need, and that something needs to be done.
So I am putting out a call to everyone reading to SEEK JUSTICE. Justice takes on many forms. In this case one of the basic needs is adequate housing and emergency supplies which require some financial inputs. As a result I have included a link to the Canadian Red cross Attawapiskat Appeal, but money alone cannot solve this problem. I urge everyone to SEEK JUSTICE- whether that means educating yourself more fully on the situation in Attawapiskat and other northern communities, or whether it means writing a letter to your local MP or MPP urging them to take action on this issue. Perhaps justice also involves re-evaluating your own prejudices and preconceived notions. Above all else I urge you to pray- for the community, for those providing aid, for the government, for wisdom, and for justice.
Consider these two verses one as a call to action, and one as a warning:
Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed.Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)
(interestingly enough some translations say "correct the oppressor" instead of "defend the oppressed" if you do a little research into Attawapiskat's situation you will find either interpretation applies to this situation.)
Like cages full of birds, their houses are full of deceit; they have become rich and powerful and have grown fat and sleek. Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not seek justice. They do not promote the case of the fatherless; they do not defend the just cause of the poor. Should I not punish them for this?” declares the LORD. “Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this? (Jeremiah 5:27-29)
Tough tidings as we enter the Christmas season.
Advent is a time for waiting, anticipating and preparing for the coming of Christ celebrated at Christmas, and also Christ's second coming. Are we ready?
http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=41676&tid=001
No comments:
Post a Comment