This week at church we celebrated communion. Which means I got to hear my favourite sound in the world- the sound of communion glasses as they are placed in the church pew. In my church the elders serve communion while everyone remains seated in their pews. After the glass communion cups have been passed out the pastor declares,
"Take, Drink, Remember and Believe that the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ was shed for the complete forgiveness of all our sins."
we partake of the cup
and a smattering sound like raindrops occurs as the cups are placed in the pew.
I love that sound, every time we celebrate communion I wait for that sound. To me it is the sound of Grace, falling from heaven and washing away our sins- HALLELUJAH!! This song by Todd Agnew sums up my feelings quite well.
I searched the internet wondering if I was the only one who loved this sound and came across this soundclip from NPR- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6119316 apparently someone else loves this sound too. To her the sound is that of Christian community and solidarity- which is very Biblical: Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf. 1 Corinthians 10:17.
Either way it is a comforting sound.
No comments:
Post a Comment