I am done my Christmas shopping! Have been for a few days now actually. I found Christmas shopping strangely relaxing this year even in December crowded malls with Christmas crazed shoppers. Maybe it was all the spare time I have had lately, or maybe it was because I bought most of my gifts at smaller local stores, or maybe it was because of a revelation I had the other day.
I was standing in a crowded Canadian Tire store when I noticed something
odd. There were guys standing in the kitchen supply aisle talking about
spatulas and mixers and there were ladies in the tool aisle pondering over ratchet sets and cordless drills. Now I don't want to stereotype genders but I know this is not usual behaviour for the majority of Canadian Tire customers. These shoppers were clearly out of their element as they tried to understand and predict the interests and desires of their loved ones. Through their Christmas shopping and gift giving they were communicating a desire to know and be known which was unexpectedly beautiful.
A certain (ir?)rational part of my brain has always rebelled against the typical gift exchange. Why should I spend money buying a gift that you only sort of want/need only to have you spend money doing the same for me? Wouldn't it be easier/more efficient if I just bought something for myself and you did the same? And then there are the obvious objections to the over-commercialization and blatant greed that becomes so prevalent around Christmas time. Which is of course valid. As I was wandering the malls I also occasionally thought "can any of us really afford this?" and as I heard parents grumbling about the 2hr wait to get their child's photo taken with Santa I thought "don't we all take this a little too far?"
Certainly many of those shoppers in Canadian Tire will get their gift wrong. Come boxing day the stores will be packed with people who bought the wrong size, shape, colour or gift and are frantically trying to correct their mistake. Tempers will flare and frustrations will abound because after all we still live in a sinful world. But for one brilliant moment we tried to forget that and reached out in hope, seeking to love and be loved in our own imperfect way.
No comments:
Post a Comment