Friday, February 15, 2013

Let's Talk- Cellphones

So recently I got a call from my cellphone provider. They call me about every other month to remind me that my contract is up it has been for almost 3 years now. This past time the very foreign sounding person basically told me "your phone is really old, don't you know you could get a new one with a new contract? Why would anyone still use such an outdated phone when they could get a shiny new one?"  It was really difficult to explain my reasoning and the language barrier didn't make it any easier. I also have received comments from friends who are surprised by my phone, one even exclaimed, "your phone is an antique, it should be in a museum!"

So apart from the "antique" factor of my phone why do I still keep it?

1. It still works!- My phone is almost 5 years old and it still works marvelously well the battery life is still great so why should I get a new one?

2. I am protesting!- I think there is something wrong with our culture where people get new phones every year or even more often. What happens to all those old phones, most of which are still perfectly functional. The waste is astounding, especially when you consider the heavy metals and toxic elements involved in the phones. 

3. Built in obsolescence makes me angry!!!- I am extremely lucky to have a phone this old that still works well. Many phones are built to last max 2-3 years and are already outdated by the time you buy them. Cellphone companies seem to come out with a new model almost every 3 months- what's up with that?!? Why don't they just spend some more time making a super high quality well constructed machine. I think coming out with a new model every 1-2 years is much more sensible. Perhaps the modern consumer is too easily distracted and retailers want to keep our attention (and our money) but really whose fault is that???

4.  'One of Canada's Biggest 3G networks' simply isn't big enough- really this one is probably one of my biggest excuses. Most of the new phones I am interested in are 3G and since I live in Northern Ontario there just isn't enough 3G coverage. Right now my old flip phone gets coverage north of the city and in the bush where I go skiing. I get reception almost all the way along the Trans-Canada Highway to ThunderBay. It is comforting to know that I can call for help if something happens to me while I am exploring the marvelous wilderness north of my city.

I think #4 was the hardest to explain to the obviously foreign customer service person from my cell phone company. Comprehending lack of cell network service was probably more difficult for someone from a well-connected highly populated country to comprehend than it was for me to understand his heavy accent.

So in summary just in case my cell phone company is listening...
I'll get a new phone when this one doesn't work. I'll find you so stop bothering me. When I do get a new phone it had better be durable because I want it to last, and I am not going to get a phone if I won't get any service.

And to all their competitors...
If you can give me all this with a plan cheaper than $30 a month I just might be willing to switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment