I have been busy working, worrying, living, baking, creating, skiing, running, moving, listening to music, making music,and an assortment of other activities. Circumstances as they are my original 2 month contract (Jan-Feb) has been extended repeatedly. Often with only a couple days notice before its expected end date. The month-by-month tension wasn't awesome, and the way I dealt with it (blissful ignorance and denial) wasn't the healthiest either. Finally I have the relative security of a 4 month contract but had the urgent need to find a place to stay yet again. I can't express how grateful I am to my church family here. When I express a need they repeatedly do whatever they can to fill it including inviting me into their homes, directing me towards available housing, and providing me with a bed.
Work has settled into a comfortable, if a little tedious, routine. I never expected to be working full-time in a chemistry lab. Initially it was exciting and challenging as I learned new lab protocols, but eventually this settled down into a regular rhythm to the point that I occasionally feel like just another piece of lab equipment. I have found setting goals and keeping track of my "personal bests" in regards to lab production to be effective in keeping me engaged in my work and constantly striving to do my best.
As an added challenge I have been focusing my energies and talents on some of my hobbies. I really enjoyed baking this winter especially fresh bread. I decided to stop buying store bought bread and make all of my bread myself. Which I found relaxing and enjoyable. I even developed my own recipe for a braided apple cream cheese streusel which is delicious and looks impressive to boot. I also started work on a painting for some dear friends and continued working on a painting I started earlier this fall. In addition I received a coupon for a discount on some music lessons; so I decided to get some more instruction on the violin (or fiddle.) Progress is slow but I would say I now am closer to using the violin as a musical instrument as opposed to an instrument of torture.
My music addiction is in full swing and I have enjoyed discovering some new bands as well as enjoying some old favourites. It is possible that I have been purchasing new music at too fast of a rate- you need to live with a CD for awhile to fully absorb and enjoy it. I think I need to go back and savour some CD's I had purchased awhile ago but haven't listened to that much lately. But there is so much good and interesting music out there and so little time! That and the website Noisetrade keeps me fuelled with constant new suggestions and the opportunity to legally download the music cheaply or for free. Their suggestions are consistently top notch! Recent finds include Jenny and Tyler, Josh Garrels, and Ivan & Alyosha. I have included some Youtube clips for your listening pleasure.
Until next time Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbeZwvB8BiE - some reason can't link the actual video but this will take you to the page on YouTube for a song called Be Your Man by Ivan & Alyosha. Definitely check it out the video is a delight to the eyes and to the ears. It is a ton of fun and an excellent summery sounding song! Kick up your heels and dance!!!
Jenny and Tyler were the soundtrack to my winter Jan-Mar. They are an awesome husband and wife duo. I chose to link a few videos of theirs. I listened to their album Open Your Doors a lot this winter- it had a good mix of music both worship and music that ministered to my melancholy. Their music makes me want to make music too. Their song See the Conqueror was my song for lent- I recently found it is also in my church's hymnal but with a different tune. I like their version better and might try it out with the praise team at my church if I get the chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment