Monday, May 9, 2011

What's on Your Plate? or should I say table?

For those of you who had the pleasure of growing up with me you know that my family lives in our kitchen/dining room and the kitchen table is not only the center of our meals but also the place where we do pretty much everything from financial planning to folding the laundry, from homework to entertainment from sewing to surgery. Everything that is "on our plate" at the time usually ends up on the kitchen table. In our family the table usually has to be cleared of both before and after a meal.

And so I have taken this practice with me as I moved into my own apartment and now have my own kitchen table. As you can see right now my life is occupied with an art project that I am working on for my sister- you can see the rough sketch in my notebook. My table is quite full and so I have abandoned the practice at eating at it and opted for the living room floor for meals.

But I am enjoying my foray into the creative world immensely. Back in high school I really enjoyed art and drama and had dreams of taking a double major in fine arts and history when I reached university. However what stopped me from pursuing this academic path was also my love of science and chemistry. I came to the realization that it is possible to enjoy the arts as hobbies but if you tried to enjoy chemistry or biology (think dissections) as hobbies you are likely to get arrested. And so I decided to pursue science as my career and keep my artistic pursuits as hobbies. However life has a tendency to get busy and I haven't had as many opportunities to express my artistic side as I would have liked. Until now- I am between contracts with my job and now free to pursue my artistic talents. So it is time to dust off my paintbrushes, notebooks and pens and let the creative juices flow. If anyone asks what I am doing with my time off you can tell them I am literally watching paint dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment