I am not exceptionally great with children, but I must admit that at times spending some time with children can be therapeutic. I remember in university my one of the girls in my apartment regularly babysat her nephew. It really was a win-win situation for her sister-in-law and for us. She got some time to herself to do errands, go out or to sleep. We in turn to to spend time with a precious toddler. In university you really are forced into this unnatural atmosphere where almost everyone is around the same age. We came to the conclusion that every dorm should have an adopted baby/child and a set of adopted grandparents. Also they should be able to have a pet. Unfortunately university administrations fail to see how this would improve the campus atmosphere. Sigh.
I recently spent some time with some adorable children.
I know it has been said many times before but kids really do say the cutest things!
Fortunately I had a pen and paper nearby and copied this conversation down, I found it quite funny.
Kid #1: I can speak French (we had been speaking a bit of French because one of the children attended French immersion school and was really fluent.)
Kid #2: No you can't
Kid #1: I can too!!
Kid #2: You don't know every word in French
Kid #1: Of course not! I am not a mathematician!!
I really would have liked to know what Kid #2 would have said in response, however I had to step in at this point. Tired kids get cranky fast and it is best to nip such confrontations in the bud before they escalate and someone's feelings get hurt.
The children were also curious about a person with disabilities that they had seen. The person in question had a developmental disability and though clearly an adult was hanging out with kids and acting like one. I explained to the kids that because of her disability this woman would never fully grow up like other adults. This idea intrigued them and one of the kids said: "I think she is lucky because that means that she gets to be a kid forever." I thought this perspective was fresh and interesting, whereas most people would choose to pity this young women, with one comment these children envied her.
No comments:
Post a Comment