Saturday, February 15, 2014

What My Life Sounds Like Lately



I have been spending a lot of my free time practicing my fiddle lately and having so much fun! If you were a fly on the wall of my apartment tonight here is a sampling of the songs you would hear in varying degrees of proficiency.

Started out with some classical music- good for practicing technique and challenging. I had a song running through my head and spent about 1/2 and hour trying to figure out what it was. Turns out it was Henry Purcell's Rondeau from Abdelazer. Fortunately I was able to find some sheet music for the song online (written for flute but hurray for playing a C+ instrument again!!) The song sounds beautiful as a violin solo. The notes are surprisingly easy to get but I need to work on my tone a lot to sound this good.
 Non-classical music fans might remember it from the dance scene in Pride and Prejudice.

And then some other dancing tunes. I have been enjoying learning some traditional fiddle standards. Maybe someday I will be providing music at a square dance near you!



Most of the recordings I got off Youtube were by Don Messer- a truly fantastic fiddle player! The last one (Red Wing) is actually close to the speed I play it at- lots of fun!!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment