Friday, June 10, 2011

Double Edged Swords

Double Edged Sword- a common idiom in the English language
The Merriam- Webster's dictionary describes it as something that has both favourable and unfavourable consequences.
The wiktionary goes on to describe it in a bit more detail: if a sword has two edges while one edge of the sword is directed at your enemy the other is directed at you and poses some danger.

Lately there have been several things in my life which I would consider to be "double edged swords"
(this is by no means a comprehensive list and future posts may expand on this theme)

Unemployment payments:
On one hand a Blessing: as a recent grad there is one thing, besides useless knowledge, that I have a lot of- debt. Unemployment payments allow me to continue to meet my monthly payments on my student loan, and also pay for essentials like groceries, rent and clothing.
However:  there is something strange about receiving a paycheque when you haven't been working. It does something to your psyche, lulls you into a false sense of stability. Also although, freeing in an economic sense, unemployment payments tie me down in so many other ways. For instance I cannot be outside of the country from Mon-Fri for more than 24 hrs. (Which wouldn't be too bad if I didn't currently live in a border town and need to travel through the States to visit my family.) Also since I have to be available to work at the drop of a hat I can't really plan anything in advance. Want to volunteer for a week in the summer somewhere- too bad, you might get a job between now and then and can't make that commitment. Want to plan a trip with a friend for next month- too bad- by then you may have a job halfway across the country and have to cancel. Want to join a Bible study at your church? To Bad- you might only be able to go once or twice before you have to move or your schedule changes. The constant state of maybes, coulds and mights makes it hard to make plans, and even harder to make good friendships and relationships. (Especially for this socially challenged individual.)

Religious Fundamentalists:
These crazies usually drive me crazy and can set my teeth on edge and my face in a wince quite quickly. Whether it is confusing their faith with their political or cultural ideals, or failing to show mercy and tolerance, these people irritate me and can easily illicit a frustrated "Ugh! that is NOT what it's all About!!!!!" from my lips.
However: recently I came to realize they just might be a blessing in disguise. If people ask me where I went to university (Redeemer University) they fairly quickly find out whether or not I am a Christian. So even in my professional life the cat is out of the bag about my faith rather quickly. Many people already have deeply seated, sometimes negative, stereotypes about Christians- when I don't fit those stereotypes they are confused and ask questions. Giving me an opportunity to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment